Thursday 4 August 2011

Ive been revisiting areas and this was a real headache for a while because i had laid out the uv's and even packed it nicely only to realise the model was crap and generic so was initially trying to edit this with completely destroying the uv's. I knew it was slightly generic but I guess I left it too late and when it was pointed out by M.Powell this morning that the model was basically crap because it was so flat and generic, I knew it was almost shocked by my stupidity why I hadn't already fixed these issues because if this was a drawing I know for a fact that i would not have made this mistake.The basic problem was that there was little to no form in the figure and you could really tell this in the front vie, so I  tried to think why I made this mistake.
I think it was because I initially wanted to try sculpting this in an external program so I was in a laid back attitude and just made basic shapes thinking that I'll fix it at some point when I start sculpting in zbrush but later on as I did more and more of it, i began to define certain areas much more. I also should have used reference from the beginning because the concept was fairly loose. This sort of had a knock on effect and made me think Ill fix it later. The other major issue  which I also think is the most common one is that worrying / getting carried away with topology, although it is very important to have the correct topology, I think it is also very important to understand the point of doing these specific topologies. The topology should serve as a vessel to maintain form under deformation ( i think anyway) so I guess one of my primary mistakes was that I was too concerned over laying good topology than establishing forms more completely. So basically back to what Mike said, wire frame looks good but shows no character.
 I am trying as much as I can to fix some areas to get some of the general curves going and define some of the forms but learned a lot from this!

2 comments:

  1. I wish more people would listen to the lesson you just learned - get the design right first, then spend time modelling it... it's much easier to make changes at the design stage rather than later in the production stage.

    In a commercial context, if you're trying to make changes to the model that should have been fixed at the 2d design stage it's going to cost your company time and money. And ultimately, that could cost you your job.

    Pass on the message - get the design right at the 2d quick n dirty stage, then model. Not the other way around!

    Good catch, it's looking better. Not great yet, but better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks will improve from this and want to finish this as soon as I can so I can start another one.

    ReplyDelete